Social Research Specialist – SEA Region & Global – Cambodia
Levante International Development is a consultancy and research firm, specializing in supporting humanitarian interventions and development projects globally.
Our multi-sectoral expertise includes child protection, mental health and health, gender and social inclusion, education, livelihoods, WASH, peacebuilding, human trafficking, and more Again. We excel in conducting participatory research with hard-to-reach groups – including young people and displaced and marginalized populations. Levante’s clients include leading INGOs and government agencies in Southeast Asia, MENA, CIS and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Levante provides services in research (needs assessments, feasibility and scoping studies), monitoring and evaluation, project design and proposal development, strategy development and capacity building.
Levante in the Southeast Asia region
Levante has established experience working with leading organizations and government stakeholders in countries such as Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia and the Philippines on projects in education, livelihoods, MHPSS, deals with persons, GESI, child protection and the inclusion of people with disabilities. We regularly conduct primary research in English, Thai, Burmese and Karen.
About the role:
The Social Research Specialist will play a lead role in driving and growing our research and consultancy projects in the Southeast Asia region, with the opportunity to contribute to our other projects at the global scale.
We are looking for candidates with a strong background in social research – including experience in primary data collection, analysis and report writing. Experience working with government stakeholders and on the Levante thematic areas outlined above is also desirable. Successful applicants will be fluent in English and at least one other language primarily spoken in ASEAN countries.
Reports to: Director & Senior Consultant
Tracks: SEA-based field coordinators and survey teams
Location: Remote work role. Preference is given to candidates based in one of the SEA countries.
Travel: In the SEA region for research. International travel opportunities. All expenses paid.
Contract Term: Full-time work on a rolling contract
Remuneration: Competitive compensation will be offered based on qualifications and experience.
As a Social Research Specialist, you will be responsible for the technical delivery of Levante’s research and advisory work across a range of thematic areas – including humanitarian relief, education, human trafficking, livelihoods, MHPSS, child protection and other thematic areas.
This will include desk research, development of research tools, coordination and conduct of field data collection, data analysis and production of high quality written reports. You will be supported and mentored in your role by Levante’s experienced team, with constant learning opportunities.
The Social Research Specialist will demonstrate a full commitment to amplifying the voices of vulnerable people through research and to Levante’s values of accountability and integrity. You will also build and shape Levante’s portfolio of work by identifying opportunities and making connections through your work. This includes the ability to pursue projects that interest you as Levante grows.
You must be highly motivated and able to organize your work. For research to be carried out in difficult contexts, you must be results-oriented and happy to overcome obstacles to obtain the information that will make a difference.
Research (remote and in the field):
– Develop tools for data collection (i.e. questionnaires, thematic guides for focus group discussions/key informant interviews, observation tools)
– Training local data collection teams/contractors on tools, social research principles and Levante policies (i.e. child protection, privacy)
– Coordination with government, representatives of (I)NGOs and other stakeholders
– If necessary, travel to the site to supervise and undertake data collection:
– Lead group discussions, interviews with key stakeholders or make observations, etc.
– Supervise the work of the counting teams
– Monitoring data collection and carrying out quality assurance
– Dataset cleaning and coding
– Analyze quantitative data using statistical packages (i.e. Excel, STATA)
– Analyze qualitative data through thematic analysis
– Contribute to the production of high quality reports and other deliverables (presentations, training materials, studies, etc.) under Levante’s authorship
– Provide technical expertise to clients and formulate meaningful and robust conclusions and recommendations
– Contribute to the design of research studies and commercial development:
– Technical input to project proposals/tenders
– Design of research methodologies
– Represent Levante when required during interviews and shortlisting of bidding processes
– Help create business development materials including blog/social media posts, articles, newsletters, resources, etc.
– Participation in events/networking with other actors in the humanitarian and international development sectors
Note: This is an exciting and highly demanding role within a growing organization that prides itself on excellent working standards. You must demonstrate the following:
Minimum of an undergraduate degree in social sciences/humanities or other relevant disciplines
2-5 years of professional experience in social research and a demonstrated understanding of social research methods
· Fluency in English and at least one of the ASEAN languages
· Exceptional writing skills. Ability to write clearly and concisely and synthesize complex ideas at a rapid pace
Experience in data collection (interviews, focus group discussions, surveys)
Experience working with vulnerable or marginalized groups
· Proficiency in data analysis, including the use of statistical packages
Experience working with multicultural teams
· Self-motivated and results-oriented
· Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
Experience working with government stakeholders
Experience working on child protection, human trafficking and education projects
Experience in managing multilingual data collection teams remotely
Working at Levant
Levante is based in the UK, but with teams working across the globe, meaning this role is open to anyone through remote working. As we work across multiple time zones, our staff have the freedom and confidence to manage their own schedules. This is balanced by an expectation of high standards and results.
An inclusive and diverse team is fundamental to what we want to achieve as an organization. We actively encourage applicants from all walks of life. Above all, we value integrity, decency and respect for colleagues, customers and the vulnerable communities with whom we work.
How to register
Please send the following by email only to email@example.com:
- Cover letter describing:
– Interest in the position
– Relevant experience and proof of required skills
– What you like to do in your spare time and your passions outside of work
– Writing/research sample (previous professional work, academic work). If you are not the sole author of the whole work, you must clearly highlight the sections written by you personally.
– Contact details of 2 references
1: A former manager/employer/supervisor
2: A colleague/peer with whom you have worked as a team
Please also provide the following information, which should be copied and included in the body of your email:
Highest academic degree:
Years of experience in social research:
Areas of experience:
Country of experience:
Languages spoken fluently:
Application Process and Timeline:
Applications close on October 14, 2022. The expected start date is December or early 2023.
Due to the expected high volume of applications, we will only be able to respond to shortlisted candidates. We will, however, provide shortlisted candidates with brief feedback on their applications after the interviews.
Comments are closed.