Vacancy at our Embassy in Pretoria for a Policy Officer in the area of Climate Policy | Information
News article | 18-11-2022 | 10:35
The Dutch Embassy in Pretoria has a job offer for a Policy Officer in the Climate Team from 1st February, 2023. We are looking for a professional with a proven track record in climate relations who is open-minded and driven by values such as diversity, equality and inclusiveness and who is a true team player.
The Embassy in Pretoria works as a team with the Consulate General in Cape Town. Our joint mission in South Africa hinges on the strong bilateral political and economic relationship between South Africa and the Netherlands. An important area of cooperation is climate and climate adaptation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and expand relevant network and relationships with key policy makers, influencers as well as private and public sector representatives in climate-related fields at local, provincial and national levels;
- Identification and development of projects in the field of climate mitigation and adaptation, supporting the implementation of climate-related programs. This includes the identification, evaluation and processing of project requests, as well as the monitoring and evaluation of projects;
- Identifies, assists, initiates and executes climate-related events and initiatives in collaboration with the team and external partners;
- Identifies opportunities to engage the Dutch private sector in co-creating solutions to climate and environmental challenges;
Ensures political cohesion and the integration of the climate change perspective into other themes and objectives of the Netherlands in South Africa.
Skills and competences
- Knowledge of climate policy and politics and a network of relevant actors at local, provincial and national level;
- In-depth knowledge of the causes and impact of climate change, South Africa’s position and the role of different levels of governance in implementing climate action;
- Understanding of business opportunities in climate-related sectors, including energy, water and circular economy, and experience of business-to-business engagements;
- Good analytical and research skills, including the ability to collect, validate, assess and integrate relevant climate information from a variety of sources, assess their impact and formulate recommendations to strengthen climate ambition and action in South Africa ;
- Proven sensitivity to political and social environment and ability to work accordingly. Takes initiative, works transparently and invites the opinions and contributions of others into own work;
- Ability to serve as an internal resource person and share knowledge;
- Ability to contribute to broader economic and political policy initiatives and projects through the thematic policy approach of assignments.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Adapts language, tone, style and format to the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and opinions and keeps others informed.
Teamwork and D&I
- Works collaboratively and values team cohesion. Seeks input by genuinely valuing the ideas and expertise of others. Is willing to learn from others. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when those decisions do not fully reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Enjoys working in a diverse, multicultural team and environment, recognizes and appreciates cross-cultural sensitivities. Has views and ambitions on promoting diversity and inclusion in work and teamwork.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in environmental science, political science, international relations, social science, economics or related field. Focusing on climate or environmental topics is an added advantage.
Experience, knowledge and skills
- A minimum of three years of work experience in climate, political affairs, international relations, business development, or related field is required.
- Knowledge of the environmental and socio-economic landscape in South Africa and interest in international and national climate developments;
- Able to build strong relationships and identify key stakeholders;
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required. Knowledge of other South African languages is an advantage.
The Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands has an active diversity policy and strives to be an inclusive and safe working environment, where everyone can be who they are and are valued for it. We look for diversity of age, gender, race, orientation, identity, culture, background, and skill, among other traits, when composing teams.
Our offices are adapted for people with disabilities.
One year fixed term contract – with possibility of extension.
Two-month trial period.
Salary indication (scale 9): ZAR 55,000 – 60,000 gross, depending on experience and qualifications, 37.5 hours/week.
Please send your cover letter (max 400 words) and curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject “Application Climate Officer – NAME”
Application deadline: December 2, 2022. Interviews will take place from December 5 to 15.